On My Life and Happenings ............ As it is !

"On My Life and Happenings ............ As it is !!!"

Saturday 23 August 2014

Madras Day

#Madrasinapattinam << ----- >> Chennai

#Madras #375 is the call of the day for 22nd August 2014 and #MadrasWeek 15th to 23rd August.
Am gonna share my take on #Madras #Chennai over the last 10 years of stay.

#Madras to me till the age of 18 were only two places – Central Station and Egmore station. In childhood / schooldays, when travelling from North India to Nellai, used to halt Central Station one whole day and catch the night train to Nellai. Still remember there used to be a huge TV in the center of the Station and Tom & Jerry cartoon used to be telecasted. The station always used to be buzzed with people moving up and down. On the other side, announcements of train arrivals & departures. I just used to wonder why people keep moving like mad here and there.

Magic of Tag Madrasi : Till I stayed in North India I had a tag name in my colony - #Madrasi. I used to get little irritated but now when I remember I feel happy and proud that I was called Madrasi even before I stepped in Madras.

2004-2014: My #Chennai Life. 
Year 2004, was a turnaround I stepped into a city called Chennai. I was a kid when I came and now what I am is all b’cos of Chennai. My Education, Friends, my Work, my Spiritual activities and loads more all bcos I put up at Chennai. During our initial days of college, I was so excited to explore Chennai mainly bcos I was away from home and had the full freedom to roam around any streets at any time.

Spencer Plaza: Our 1st hangout places during weekends would always used to be #SpencerPlaza. Ask me each and ever en-route of it, I would tell. During my college strike I used to go by cycle from Chetpet to Spencers daily with my friend Dinesh to kill time. The place was always alive those days bcos there were no other big Malls & used to be the best hangout place for guys like us. Me and friend used to have lunch on roadside opposite to Spencers under a big banner. Till now if you ask me which Mall do you like I would say I love Spencers but need to acknowledge the malls like #EA #Phoenix #CitiCentre etc. are the more attractive hub for young people. Last 10 years the expansion of malls, no words to say.

Beach: Ask anybody around the world, if you are coming to Chennai, the first place they would like to go is to #Marina Beach. This beach is kinda nostalgic to me. Guess, was in 5th grade I crossed via bus en-route to Trichy on Beach road, Dad showed me this is Beach my dear son. I was like AAAWWW. The more aaawww reaction was when I witnessed it in 2008. These 10 years I have visited almost all the beaches of Chennai. I had played and had enjoyed in all the beaches of #Chennai. Recently I am in love with the #ECR Side beaches. Those are just calm and very few people come and many aren’t aware of it. Most important are clean. Just love to spend time there.

EMU: Any person in Chennai would have traveled atleast once in #EMU. India is famous for one the largest network of Railways, and our Chennai #EMU is one of the most integral part of it. I have enjoyed a lot travelling by EMU. Ask me, I had got into the most crowded train of Chennai EMU. I have hung and have stood on the edges by holding the bar of the train with 3 fingers of the entrance quite a few times. Let the train move, jog and get into the train were the favorite moments for us. With the commencement of Metro Rail I am sure Chennai’s train network would be still more exciting to travel. Even once I blogged a post about EMU - http://djoephilip.blogspot.in/2010/03/emu-metro.html

Road-Side shops: These are the main business hubs of Chennai. #IdlyKadai #MuttaiDosai #Vadai #Soup #ChickenPakoda #Chicken65 #Briyani #Bajji etc. are the delicious Hot Spot for any road side eaters. Ask me I would have tasted every single shop on Tambaram –Velachery road till Pallikaranai. I have relished all the foods of road side shops in Chennai. One of the most delicious hub was “Alsa Mall Bread Omlet”.

Fast Foods & Restaurants: There would be many Fast Food famous cities in India. But I would say Chennai has one of the best hotels and restaurants. Fast Foods as the name suggested are dynamic in the Chennai city. It would make you think whether people cook food at their home. Take it weekend night all the prominent restaurants would be queued up with people.

LIC Building: See any old Tamil movie they show LIC building as one the acknowledgement to Madras. I once had a chance to go into the marvelous historic movie building.

Vandaloor Zoo: This place is one the most unique places in Chennai. Yes Chennai is crowded with people but there is one calm place which is Vandaloor Zoo. It may be in the outskirts of Chennai but people come prominently to visit the zoo. I would have visited with my friends say 25+ times and twice with my family. Still ask me to go tomorrow, I would love to go and have a good walk.

Kathipara Junction : This has become one of the prominent junction of the Chennai. Still remember, before the bridge there used to be a huge traffic till Airport and same would be the status on the other 3 sides for almost 3 kms in a stretch. After its arrival travel has been to ease crossing guindy to larger extent.

Full Meals: Take any South Indian, Lunch time 8 outta 10 would prefer always Full Meals. With the arrival of Saravana Bhavan, Vasantha Bhavan and many more chain restaurants Full Meals has always been the favorite order for Luncheon. I love the varieties and colorfulness in the food.

Ranganathan Street: This Street would be hardly 500 meters long and 20 feet wider, but people crossing this street are mind blowing. Take it festive season people don’t walk they float. During college days I have enjoyed walking the streets of Ranganathan street mainly for Rs.2 samosa, Sugarcane juice and Kulfi Ice-Cream of Saravana Store. All those were the famous time pass junks to grab.

Radio channel: I am not sure whether how many cities have popular Radio channels as Chennai city has. During my hostel days the only source of enjoyment was Radio. All old & new songs and NEWS channels were our entertainment.

Kaapi: Call it Coffee or Kaapi both may sound alike but it’s not the same. I have tasted many coffees from popular Coffee Hubs but none can match the Chennai Kaapi in the dubra cups. The strong aroma and taste, have just 5 sips you will be never forget the taste of Kaapi in your life. I have tasted almost all the Kaapi’s hubs of Chennai.

Climate : If you feel the Sultry and Humid being India then your Google map will point that you are at Chennai. One the most humid cities of India. I have experienced many cities around the world but none can match Chennai in humidity. But that is beauty of Chennai.

The Hindu : There may be many newspapers around worldwide, but come Chennai you will witness #TheHindu as one of the prominent newspapers among Chennai people. I personally like the language used in the newspaper. It gives you an awesome start to the morning.

Language: Being from Tirunelveli when I fist came I was total clueless about the pucca Chennai ppl's language. I would not understand even now to some extent. But chennai has taught some new which any other cities can't. #Machi & #Mappi these two words means alot among the friends circle. I donno how coined those words. Prefix Usage of "Da" is common in Chennai, there will be no doubt in future if Oxford accepts DA as a new word in their Dictionary.

Chepauk Stadium & Chennai Super Kings: These two have a strong connection between them. I haven’t gone to Chepauk stadium to witness India matches but more to witness #CSK matches.
#WhistlePodu moments for CSK are one of the prominent tagline of #CSK. The respect the crowd gives to the game of cricket is mind blowing. I have heard many commentators used to say, be it Chepauk they respect every opposition. Guess once when Pakistan won against India, the crowd applauded for the victory. My personal favorite match was #IndVsSA test match in which #Sehwag hit 300+, the memories are still fresh and nostalgic.

These are the few destinations and experiences which I have enjoyed in Chennai. There are few more experiences I would like to just tag them – Travelling in crowded Share-Auto, Theme Parks, Sathyam Theatres, Sitting in the upper portion of 18A Double Ducker Bus, Paani-Poori, British Council library, Star hotels etc.

Chalo, time to wrap up the post I will keep scribbling if asked to share more……

Whatever and However you call #Madras or #Chennai – it has been ma Second Home land. I have loved Chennai and will always love. Ask me to work in any other city than Chennai, I would never work.
The hospitality, the people , secured environment and lots more makes me Love Chennai every day more and more.

I loveee yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa #Chennai


Proud #Madrasi.



Wiki Link of #Madras day : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madras_Day




Share

No comments:

Post a Comment